- gain hands-on experience in field-based science and conservation work focused on native plants and pollinators, led by experts in their fields
- contribute to understanding of biodiversity at a one-of-a-king regional environmental education and research facility
- develop knowledge, skills and perspectives from working with a diverse team
Through their work at Appalachian Headwaters, interns will not only contribute to our ongoing programs, but will also gain valuable work experience, strong recommendation letters, and practical skills. Interns will work with other interns on a daily basis, supervised and mentored by highly qualified Headwaters fellows and staff. This internship will help students build a solid resume towards future opportunities in the biological and environmental sciences, and related fields.
- Includes native plant nursery work, native plant landscape establishment and maintenance, native plant and pollinator surveys, pollinator habitat improvement projects
- All internship activities are field-based, weather-dependent, and involve regular physical activity outdoors
- Interns are responsible for their own transportation outside of internship activities.
Each intern will have a field-based project supervisor. Interns will do goal-setting with their project supervisor and will conduct weekly check-ins and a final evaluation. Interns may have the opportunity to define an independent project within their supervisor’s workplan to complete during the internship period.
Students in the program will earn a $3,500 stipend for their participation in the program. This stipend will be paid in monthly installments, with the final payment upon successful completion of the internship.
Housing is provided onsite – including kitchen and laundry facilities.
Headwaters Park is located 6 miles from the nearest town (Lewisburg). Interns are responsible for their own transportation outside of internship activities.
Mon, June 5 – Fri, August 11
Weekdays, 35 hrs/week
Weekly schedule set by supervisor
Academic achievement, interview, intellectual curiosity, recommendations, writing sample